Our dietitians are highly experienced in working with disability through experience working in the field in both government and non-government sectors. With the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)’s recent rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) it is our aim to ensure people with disability are continually cared for to a high standard in the Newcastle and the surrounding areas.
Above all, we value and specialise in communication. Communication with the client, family members, carers and collaborative interdisciplinary teams is highly important when working with a range of nutrition and health needs in the disability sector, including:
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Aspiration/aspiration pneumonia
- Gastrointestinal issues e.g. constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhoea and faecal loading/impaction
- Enteral nutrition (often referred to as tube/PEG feeding)
- Oral nutrition support i.e. supplement use
- Dysphagia and texture modified diets (soft, cut-up, minced and moist, and pureed diets) in conjunction with a speech pathologist
- Pressure wounds/bed sores
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Weight management
- Co-morbidities e.g. high cholesterol
- Food-related behavioural issues (in conjunction with a psychologist)
- Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Dementia and mental illnesses
- Neurological disorders e.g. Motor Neurone Disease
- Acquired disability e.g. from stroke, injury or trauma
- Inborn errors of metabolism e.g. phenylketonuria (PKU)
Dietitians at Be Wellness and Family Nutrition offer home-visits for clients with disability as we understand that attending consultations can be difficult.
We are registered NDIS providers servicing Newcastle, the Hunter Region and Port Stephens.
To enquire about our services contact us by phone or email.