Our dietitians are highly experienced in working with people with disability, their families and carers. With the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)’s rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), it is our aim to ensure people with disability are continually cared for to a high standard in the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Maitland areas.
Our values – integrity, collaboration, knowledge and respect – guide our practice and the way we do business. These values make us effective communicators when working with the client, family, carers and collaborative multidisciplinary team to solve problems and help clients achieve their goals.
Some common nutrition issues we work with include:
- Gastrointestinal issues e.g. constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhoea and faecal loading/impaction
- Enteral nutrition, often referred to as tube/PEG feeding
- Oral nutrition support i.e. nutrition supplement use
- Texture modified diets and ensuring they are nutritionally adequate
- High energy and protein requirements
- Swallowing difficulties
- Delayed wound healing
- Medication and nutrient interactions
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Weight management
- Co-morbidities e.g. high cholesterol
- Food-related behavioural issues (in conjunction with a psychologist)
- Fussy eating
- Appetite changes
- Poor volume tolerance
- Unintended weight/muscle mass loss from neurological disorders, such as motor neurone disease
- Nutritional management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Reducing risk of aspiration/aspiration pneumonia
Dietitians at Be Wellness and Family Nutrition offer home-visits for clients with disability as we understand that attending consultations can be difficult.
We are a registered NDIS provider servicing Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Maitland areas.
To enquire about our services contact us by phone or email.